Italian sculptor, jeweller, stage designer and architect. He studied, between 1945 and 1946, at the Faculty of Economics and Commerce at the Universita degli Studi in Bologna. Up until 1957, he worked for a firm of architects, advising civil engineers on the reconstruction of buildings destroyed during the Second World War. Between 1950 and 1954, he worked simultaneously as a jeweller and stage designer together with his brother, Gio Pomodoro. During this period, he discovered the work of Lucio Fontana and Enrico Baj in Milan, where he moved in 1954. The detail shown in his pieces of jewellery was also to appear later in his monumental sculptures in bronze. In 1959, he took part in Documenta 2 in Kassel. In 1960, Pomodoro met David Smith and Louise Nevelson during his first trip to the United States and, in 1961, he joined the Continuit group. As from the 60s, he produced geometrical sculptures, generally spherical and metallic, whose surfaces were rent so the inside could be seen. After 1971, he was involved in numerous large scale projects, namely for theatres. Pomodoro gave the arts a new direction, applying the principles of Informal Art to sculpture.