Painter and designer, born in Pecs, Hungary. Pioneer in the development of almost every optical device for the creation of a new art of visual illusion. Studied in Budapest at the Podolini-Volkmann Academy, then at the Mühely Academy of graphic arts run by Alexander Bortnyik known as the Budapest Bauhaus, where Moholy-Nagy was teacher. Moved to Paris in 1930. From 1944 devoted himself exclusively to optical art and theories of perception. First one-man exhibition at the Galerie Denise René, Paris, 1944, with restless conflicting patterns incorporating zebras, chessboards, etc. Decided in 1947 to concentrate on constructive-geometric abstraction. Pioneered Op art in the later 1950s with compositions based on a continual aggressive interaction between different kinds of pattern, and invented a plastic alphabet of standardised colours, shapes, etc.. Designed screen prints and tapestries. In 1958, first one-man show in the United States at the Rose Fried Gallery, New York; 1973 retrospective, Galerie Denise René, Paris, 1993, Museum of Art, Tokyo; 1978, Vasarely Centre, New York, similar Centre in Oslo, in 1982. Awarded the Grand Prix jointly with Burri at the 1965 São Paulo Bienal and one of four equal main prizes for painting at the 1967 Pittsburgh International. Founded a museum of his own work at the Chateau de Gordes in 1970 and the Vasarely Fondation at Aix-en-Provence, 1976.