British painter born in Northwood, Middlesex. From 1929-31 he studied at the Slade School and was awarded the Ozpen Bursary in 1930. From 1931-39 he studied at the Académie Ranson, Paris, under Professor Roger Bissière. 1954-56, lecturer at Central School of Art and Crafts, London, 1958, exhibited at ICA, London, 1960, Waddington Galleries, London, British Painting 1720-1960, Pushkin Gallery, Moscow. In 1957 he was working in Cornwall, in 1959 was a prizewinner at the “2nd John Moores Liverpool Exhibition”, and in 1963 he was awarded first prize at the “4th John Moores Liverpool Exhibition”. In 1964 he was awarded the UNESCO prize at the 33rd Venice Biennale. In 1972 abandoned oil painting for gouache, due to illness. 1974 Retrospective, Serpentine Gallery, London, and in 1993-94 Hayward Gallery, London.