Was born in Coimbra. Graduated in painting at the Fine Arts School of Oporto pela Escola Superior de Belas Artes do Porto, where he was professor until1975, when he changed to Lisbon. He was one of the four members of group “Os Quatro Vintes”, founded in 1968, with Angelo de Sousa, Armando Alves and José Rodrigues, In 1957 he presented his first solo exhibition, followed by a series of interventions some of which organized by that group, between 1968 and 1971. Prizes: 1969 Prize at exhibition “Cinquentenário da morte de Souza Cardoso”, 1970 Prize of Critics, Lisbon. Collective exhibitions abroad (selection): 1970 “Os Quatro Vintes”, Galeria de Debrière, Paris, 1973 “Pintura Portuguesa de Hoje, Barcelona, 1976 “Arte Portuguesa Contemporanea”, Roma, Paris, Brasília, S. Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. 1977 “Portuguese Culture in Madrid”, Fundación Juan March, Madrid. In 2002, CAM-JAP - Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation has shown a retrospective of his work.